The Beginning of the Beginning: What to Know About Home Remodeling
People buy homes based on location, and that’s especially true in the Chicagoland area. If the perfect house is in the wrong location, it’s not the perfect house. Many people will sacrifice what they truly want in a home in exchange for the perfect location. You shouldn’t have to settle or make your home simply “work.” You can remodel your home to suit you perfectly, and the right contracting team can help you bring your vision to life and make the process seamless and enjoyable.
Beginning new construction or an extensive home remodel should be exciting, not challenging. You have many decisions to make, and when you plan your remodel with a design in mind, your transformed home is built around that aesthetic. If it’s your first time building a home or tackling a remodeling project, here are a few things to know to prepare for the next stage and your new home.
Understand the Relationship Between Form and Function
Whether sewing clothes or building a new house, designers often face a common dilemma regarding their plans: Should they follow form or should they follow function? Traditional wisdom says that form should follow function. This means the look of something – its form – is secondary to its use – its function.
We believe in a balance between these two, and that any home can be built without sacrificing the homeowner’s vision. Here are some tips for marrying form and function during a remodel.
- Ask questions. Our architects and designers are experts. If you like the way a design looks but are having trouble with how it may affect your daily life, explain why the design might be a challenge and ask about options.
- Look beyond the floor model. When you find something you like, be it a chair or counter-top, don’t assume that what you see is what you’ll get. If you like the way a chair sits but the fabric is itchy, find a fabric that can suit the chair – both for its look and its texture.
- Decide what makes you happy. Our builders know what works and our design team knows how to make it look great, but you’re the customer. Your happiness in your home is more important than meeting the latest trends. Learn what you like before your remodel, and we can work to make form and function work together.
Remember that you can enjoy all the beauty of form and all the ease of function, and that design can lead the way.
Recognize the Benefits of an All-in-One Experience
Most remodels require balancing a group of various companies to achieve the outcome you want. An architectural firm, an interior designer, and a construction company are typically involved. During a remodel, you have to locate these companies and ensure they are a fit for you. The most challenging part is making sure they work together to transform your home in the most efficient way possible, and communication is a common complaint during the typical process.
One way to avoid headaches and eliminate inefficiency is to use an all-inclusive team. Having an all-inclusive contracting, building, and design team will make the process much simpler for you as you’ll enjoy the following benefits:
- Seamless communication. Designers, architects, and planners should be team players – they should know each other and shouldn’t have to chase another business to schedule and make plans for your home.
- Streamlined processes. When you work with various contractors and designers, each one has a different process for completing your remodel. With all-inclusive building and design companies, the schedule is set from the top down – and everyone is on the same page from the beginning.
- A better product. When your contractors and design/architecture team all work together, your remodel will benefit from open communication and a clear timeline. It’s bound to produce a product you are happier with because you’ve been part of the communication process all along.
With a team like DESIGNfirst, you don’t have to balance the schedules of various businesses or worry about whether one of them has communicated your ideas clearly to the next one.
Know What to Expect From a Remodel or New Construction
The home renovation process should be smooth and enjoyable. You start with a vision and then depend on the company you work with to guide you through the experience. Look for a company that provides:
- Personalized care. The best companies assign a team to each customer. Your assigned team should help you select from the many options and finishes that your project involves. They should help you choose the right colors, pieces, and accessories that fit your overall design. That kind of care may not be an option for all businesses, but you should expect individualized attention to your unique needs. At DESIGNfirst, we assign a team to each customer.
- Talent and experience. Anyone investing in a remodel or a new build should look at the reviews of other clients. You should also ask about experience in the trade. Not every customer review will be perfect, but there should be enough to give you an idea of how they treat their customers and how much experience they have.
- Responsive communication. You should expect streamlined communication and prompt attention. If you don’t hear from your contractor, architect, or designer in a timely fashion, it could be a sign that they will be less communicative once your project starts.
Work With a Unique, All-Inclusive Design and Build Firm
At DESIGNfirst, we do more than build homes; we build relationships. Once we understand who you are and what you’re looking for in a remodel or custom build, we will help you achieve your vision no matter where you live in Chicago. We are innovators in home construction and remodeling, and we want to put our innovation to work for you.